Thursday, October 17, 2013

Overcoming weaknesses

Sucky October happend around this time last year. Looking back, I don't think I've ever been as stressed, tired & miserable as I was then. I worked harder than ever to seemingly fail everyday - which takes a toll on you both mentally & physically.

This October is like a breath of fresh air in comparison - mostly because of an acquired skill developed all throughout last year. I'm now able to collaborate with a network of people (sounds silly, but it's a skill to me!!!)

As a college student, I hated group projects. I preferred working by myself. I kept up this mentality when it came to planning. I placed myself on my own island last year. I didn't lesson plan with others, share resources, etc...mostly because I didn't think I knew what I was doing. Little did I know this wasn't just affecting my health & happiness - it spilled over to the kind of education my kids received.
This year, I am in charge of everything math-related, while other members of my 1st grade team take care of literacy, writing, science, social studies, literacy centers, homework, parental outreach...everyone has their place, & I've never been prouder to be part of such a great crew! They are amazing. We meet 1-2 times a week to work, bouncing ideas off of one another. I am surviving this year because of them.

Advice to anyone in over your head as a 1st year teacher: ask for help from your fellow peers! You will be in such a better place because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment