Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Final Countdown

TExES exam: 9 days
Induction: 10 days
Institute: 14 days

My post-grad life has been filled with tons of work, contrary to any expectations I had. You're probably wondering what this countdown represents...well, here's a breakdown!

TExES
AKA the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards. This test determines whether or not I can even become a teacher (scary). I will be taking the Generalist EC-6 exam June 4th in Dallas, & have to pass!

The test is scored from a total of 300 points, & I need 240 to pass - or 80% correct. The paragraph below is an exert from a TFA email I received, further adding to my fear of this exam.

YOUR 1st JOB AS A TFA CORPS MEMBER IS TO PREPARE FOR YOUR TExES AND PASS IT. IF YOU DO NOT PASS, YOU WILL NOT RETAIN YOUR PLACE IN THE 2012 DFW CORPS.

Along with studying for the TExES exam, I have 40 hours of reading/prep-work to complete. This work includes readings discussing the achievement gap, classroom observation hours, & lesson planning. I have my work cut out for me.

Induction
I will be at Southern Methodist University (SMU) from June 5-June 10, where I will finally meet all other 2012 TFA Corps members within the Texas region - so exciting! We have all been communicating on a Facebook page, but it will be great to finally meet these people in person. This week-long "camp" will be filled with learning about TFA's mission, as well as meeting with our respective school districts.

Induction Schedule

I was recently placed within Fort Worth ISD (stoked) but have yet to get a specific position. I'm crossing my fingers for 3rd grade.

Institute
I literally drive straight from Induction (SMU/Dallas) to Institute, held at Rice University in Houston, TX, where I will "learn how to be a teacher" from June 10-July 14. The training so so rigorous that days start at 6 a.m. & usually end around midnight.

There are many institute horror stories online via blogs, but I haven't read any of them. I want to have/create my own perspective of the 5-week training...plus, I don't want to get too stressed (probably too late for that).

Post-grad life has yet to slow down, but I can't wait to get this TFA summer officially started.

No comments:

Post a Comment