Friday, August 24, 2012

The Classroom

 I just completed my first week of training at my school, T.A. Sims, & finally met all the other teachers & staff, woo! I can safely say, knowing that I have 9 TFA Corp Members & MANY wonderful teachers around me, I am as supported as can be.

With that being said, being the "new teacher" is still extremely overwhelming. I've been setting up my classroom this week, & boy, was it STRESSFUL. There are specific rules to how a bilingual classroom needs to be set up (example - Spanish words must be associated with the color red, while English words are with blue). I've had to clean, organize, & design my classroom, which I've never done before, whist preparing for the first week of school. I was lucky enough to have some help cutting, stapling & laminating from Daniel.

My classroom essentials are in place. I still have a lot of work to do, but now it's time to complete lesson planning.

Other things this week: Meet the teacher night was yesterday (Thursday, Aug. 24) & was absolutely wonderful. I met 9 of my future students + parents. The majority of these students came from another TFA Corp Member (& TCU Alum!), so I already have some things in common with them :)


4th grade me! So long ago...time to go back!
Entering my classroom









Sorry not sorry about the teacher carrier :P

Outside of my classroom
The 4th grade nook
Fish tank!

T.A. Sims main hallway
The gymnasium

The library

4 comments:

  1. B, I'm so excited to see you made a blog! I will love to read about how the year goes! Best wishes. You will do great. The kids will love you. The classroom looks so big and nice. Seems like a great place to start your career. Good luck! Miss you.

    -Katherine Love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine! It's so great to hear from you. Thank you for the wonderful words of support, & good luck with sophomore year!!! XO

      Delete
  2. wow wow wow!! looks wonderful!! you are doing such an amazing job Ms. Castro! these future students are lucky to have you! I'm so excited for you and this new journey! you are gonna be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you!!!! I MISS YOU!!! When are you going to travel to Texas?? It's basically its own country, you know... :P

      BESOS <3

      Delete